This is one of my favorite treats to have on a lazy weekend morning- sausage balls! My dad used to make these for me using bisquick (which yes, they were delicious), but over the years I have altered the recipe to use the flours that I prefer.
So, this super simple recipe is basically sausage, almond and tapioca flour and cheese and they make for quite the treat. Yes, I know, it still isn’t healthy, which is why I called it a treat…and they are totally worth the occasional indulgence!
Try them out for your next weekend brunch!
Servings: 12-18 balls depending on size
1/2 C almond flour
1/2 C tapioca flour (or arrowroot)
1lb ground breakfast sausage
1C shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 375. You can line a cookie sheet with foil, or use a silicone mat with a greased wire rack (as pictured). I prefer using the wire rack so that the grease drains off- but make sure you oil the rack!! I recommend greasing whatever surface you wind up cooking the sausage balls on.
- Combine dry ingredients together.
- Mix sausage and egg in to dry ingredients. Use your hands, and yes, they will get messy.
- If using cheese, mix in cheese.
- With wet hands, form small (golf ball size) balls and place either directly on cooking sheet or on the wire rack.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and sausage is cooked through.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
Let me know how they turn out! They are super simple, so feel free to add some spices or something else and let me know how it goes!